Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spring! is coming! - Dollar Tree Craft!

To decorate your front door for any holiday,  it is not necessary to use a wreath.

There are many different things that can be used.... including a straw placemat.


I wanted to use items that anyone could afford... including myself....

so I purchased all my ingredients from the $1.00 store.


I spent a total of $5.00, which included the placemattwo flower stems, one greenery stem, and ribbon and an 'I love you' balloon for and extra dollar.

I began by folding and gluing my placemat...

Don't fold it exactly in half.....  and no glue yet....
then bring in one side......
and you can add glue now.....
and then bring in the other side, and run glue all along the edge....

I also use glue very freely, whether a glue gun, E6000, or liquid nail.

I then cut the floral stems to the length I needed....


Added glue liberally.....


Then placed them inside the 'placemat' basket where I wanted them.


 I did not worry about positioning the flowers exactly until I had added the ribbon.


I looped the ribbon from back to front and cut and glued to the top of the basket..

I forgot to take pictures of how I tied a bow,
but I tied a basic bow and glued to the top front of the basket.
(I am sorry)

You can also tie your bow to different sizes,  I tied mine large, but you are unable to see the basket..

and if I had to do over, would probably tie the bow smaller.

I then cut enough ribbon, to hang the basket and glued it to the sides,
 not the back of the basket (or it will lean to the front).


(Notice the pretty nails,  they are left over from my son's wedding)
I was then able to hang it on my front door....


 Notice I still have not arranged my flowers! 

This makes a fun 'spring' decoration...

but if you want to make it a Valentine's decoration...

just add a valentine POP!


It can be added for valentine's day and then removed for spring.... 



Yes!  I have fixed the flowers....

What are some inexpensive door decorations you have done?

I would love to hear from you.

Love,
Catrina
PS. 
I'm linking up to:
http://www.foxhollowcottage.com/
http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/

23 comments:

  1. Love it! Great job...but what about that school work?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I'm your new follower.
    Happy to find your blog fellow homeschool mom :)
    Hope you'll come visit me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Betty,and welcome. I am headed to visit you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your wreath, well flowers. I have been wanting to do this for a long time to my door. I think you did a great job. I found your site from the power of Pinterest party. I pinned this to my Pinterest page. Oh by the way I am your newest like. If you ever get a chance to swing by the Nifty Thrifty Family blog, I would truly appropriate it. http://niftythriftyfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your tea party idea and the decorating of the basement! Must have been a sweet time for your little girl

      Delete
  5. Great idea, I love it! Visiting from Debbiedoo's party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Callie. I love trying to figure out different things to use to make decorating cheap!

      Delete
  6. What a neat idea! Saw your post on Debbie and Shannon's party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thank you for taking the time to come and look

      Delete
  7. OK that is seriously darling! I am so happy your sis got on you to share. Thank you so much! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful my sister did too. But wow! the stuff I don't know and how many times I feel like I am drowning in cyber world! She has so much more to teach me, hope she feels up to the job

      Delete
  8. Quotable: "I use glue very freely" I don't know why that cracked me up, but sometimes . . . it just takes a lot of glue! This is super cute and I think it's perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could make you smile. But you are right! some things just take a LOT of glue!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I just love this project! So pretty! Beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. I was trying to think of something my mother-in-law would like, and her favorite colors are pink and green! So 'springlike'

      Delete
  10. Super cute! And what a great idea for the basket! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, and I really didn't know how it would work. Also thought it would be a neat idea for May baskets for May day.

      Delete
  11. Love this idea! So cute and so easy! Thank you for sharing this! =D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and canNOT wait to hear from you. Love ya!