Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Practice makes...... well... something.....

I have been wanting to make a chalkboard forever!!!
 
But, I had never found a frame that I liked.
 
 I finally did!
 

The only problem........
 
I don't have a clue to what I am doing!
 
So, I started from the beginning......
 
 
Bought chalkboard paint, frame paint, brushes, and of course,
 
my beautiful frame.
 
I began by cleaning my frame, and taping off the glass.
 
 
I then painted the glass with the black chalkboard paint.
 
Just a little fyi, here.
 
The directions said to let dry one hour, and then apply the second coat.
 
NOPE, DON'T DO IT!
 
 
See the bumps,  the paint began peeling off.
 
So, I let it sit for 24 hours, and then was able to apply the second coat.
 
After finishing the black chalkboard paint,
 
I started to paint the frame.
 

I applied the paint, liberally....
 
and then wiped it off.
 

 
I loved the texture, and I loved the gold....
 
but it seems I lost it when it was painted.
 
 
 
So.....
 
I have finished it for now,
 
(while I think)
 
but I believe I need to rebrush the gold, gently back over the top.....
 
I am just not quite ready.
 
But,  it is coming....
 
What do you think?
 
Love,
Catrina
 


8 comments:

  1. I have this frame in my yard sale!!! Just kidding...but I do have one that's close I believe :) Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea
    I enjoy your posts!
    Lisa Mills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!
    Susan Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you paint right over the glass? Did you have to prep the glass (if you painted right on it) first with anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned the glass with windex. but did not do anything else with it. Just make sure you let the first coat dry a day, and not 2 hours like the directions said. I have paint if you want to try it. I got my paint at hobby lobby.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Susan, are you going to try one?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and canNOT wait to hear from you. Love ya!